We are frustrated with traditional healthcare communication because it is causing patients everywhere to have avoidable, life-threatening and expensive mishaps. Our CEO’s Mother-in-law died because of a terrible misunderstanding at a local hospital. When she was discharged she was given the normal 15 pages of typed instructions in English. The problem was, although she spoke five languages very well including English, her native language was French and she did not read English proficiently enough to understand her discharge instructions.. One of them was to stop taking her current hypertension and anti-coagulant and start different prescriptions. A niece that did not read or speak English filled the two new prescriptions and gave her all four medications which led to 16 weeks in intensive care and eventually her death. The ramifications of this one incident led to $500,000 of care costs to the taxpayers and the loss of a beloved Mother and Grandmother. We wish we could say that this was unusual but every few minutes another person will die and 14 more will be injured in the United States. A medical mishap is the third leading cause of death in the United States and miscommunication is the cause of one-third of them.
So how does SpeechMED work to solve that problem? SpeechMED, speaks to the patient in the language that they or their family member understands and is currently available in eight languages. Regardless of their age, their vision or how well they read patients can understand their vital medical information. And logically when patients and their loved ones understand their medical instructions, they are less likely to have the mishaps that lead to accidents and death.
SpeechMED’s enterprise system and mobile applications are specifically designed for seniors, the visually impaired and other patients who do not read English well. With a proficient health literacy rate in the US of 14% and 1 in 5 of us going home to a language other than English this is very important.
Instead of relying on written formats to deliver patient directions, SpeechMED’s award-winning solutions include a secure HIPPA compliant cloud where personalized care information including medication, reminders, emergency contact, discharge instructions, allergies, and appointments can be uploaded and accessed on a mobile device.
Additionally, SpeechMED offers the only Caregiver mobile application that provides on-demand multiple language translations of medical information to patients, families, and caregivers. With the caregiver application patient’s medication, adherence and appointments can be monitored at home. This technology not only gives employees more peace of mind in caring for their loved ones, it reduces stress, distraction, arriving late, leaving early, taking time off, workday interruptions, cutting back on work hours and absenteeism.
These are some of the ways that SpeechMED can help patients.
(1) Help avoiding missed appointments, and medicine doses.
(2) Ability to hear and understand lifesaving messages in their own language.
(3) Assurance that caregivers, regardless of native language, can understand instructions.
(4) Tactile keypad and audio information delivery to accommodate a person if visually challenged.
(5) Keeps a list of allergies and medications for emergencies or the next medical appointment.
(6) Gives the ability to record notes and messages for patient, caregiver or health professional.
(7) Stores important documents in one place. Your documents can be uploaded to our secure cloud for easy access from the device or our secure cloud portal.
(8) Sends medication reminders with a picture of the pill. Generic medicines may look different and the software allows you to take an actual picture from the device to show during the reminder.
(9) If the patient misses a medication reminder SpeechMED can send a lack of compliance text to the caregiver if there is one.
Easy one-click social registrationIs this safe?
We only receive the minimum information necessary to verify your account. We never get access to your friends/contacts or your profile, and we never post on your behalf. Your social account is used for logging in only.ORRegister via email
Send me updates on this Contest
In order to ensure a fair voting process and to make sure that no one votes more than once, we ask that you register either with a social networking account (easiest, only requires one click) or by registering with your email address (this will require you to click on a verification email that we will send you).
You only need to register once.